The Town of McLennan appreciates their Volunteers. Volunteer Appreciate Night is held each year where special Volunteers, nominated by their fellow community members, are selected to be presented with the Volunteer of the Year award.
Benefits to Volunteering.
This is a great opportunity to expand your horizons by learning something a little different and by networking with new people.
- Connecting with your community. Our community has many opportunities to volunteer and your efforts will create a better community to live and work.
- Friendship and belonging. We all want to belong. Volunteering allows for people to meet as strangers and leave as friends that share a common passion.
- Giving Back. If you’re not involved but would like to start, take a few minutes and think about what you have to offer. Share your knowledge and expertise with the community. Each person has something unique to give.
- Personal Growth. Volunteering is all about experiences. This is a chance to learn new ideas and building confidence. This happens naturally by seeing the difference you are making in McLennan.
Click on the organization name below to learn how to connect as a volunteer.
Tourism & Culture
Education & Environment
Dial 911 for Fire, Police or Medical Emergencies.
Our community is appreciative of the devoted members on the Fire Department. These firemen are always ready to go 24/7.
The fire department consist of a full time Regional Fire Chief and Volunteer Firefighters. They provide fire protection and rescue services for the Town of McLennan and support for the other fire departments in the M.D. of Smoky River.
The duties of a Firefighter include:
- respond to fire call outs and provide suppression for structural, vehicle, wildland and interface fires;
- provide emergency rescue services including vehicle extrication, wildland/off highway rescue, as well as assist the RCMP;
- participate in department training with respect to emergency equipment and emergency procedures
Interested in becoming a volunteer firefighter? If your community focus is safety and you want to help others then fill out an application form. Drop off your application form at the McLennan town office or mail it to the Regional Fire Chief.
Do you want to be part of an organization that stands up for its community and do it with people who are some of the best you’ll ever meet.
What's in it for you?
- Community Involvement
- Paid "Career" Training
- Being part of a Professional Team
- Personal Satisfaction & Accomplishments
- And much more
- Bi-Weekly every 2nd and 4th Wednesday night (18:45 - 21:15)
- Various training courses as offered
- 18 years of age
- Able to satisfactory pass a drivers record search
- Able to satisfactory pass a criminal record search
- Physically fit
Regional Fire Chief
Smoky River Fire Department
Caring and compassionate people with time to donate are always in demand. If you are interested in helping others in a health care environment this may be something of interest to you.
Alberta Health Services Volunteer Services works to assist those using the health care system, to make it a warmer and easier transitional place to be.
Meals on Wheels. This program delivers prepared meals to seniors, those with disabilities or infirmities twice a week. Volunteers are required to have a vehicle and a valid drivers license.
Friendly Visitor in the Hospital. In the past, these volunteers were referred to as Candy Strippers. This is an opportunity to lift the spirits and provide companionship to those in the hospital.
Way Finders. This is a relative new program. Volunteers would be on hand to guide people from out of town that are using the surgical facilities that are offer in our hospital. Being from out of the area and perhaps not familiar with the layout and process, these volunteers will assist those in finding their way and being ready at check out.
For any information regarding these great programs and volunteering please contact:
Karen Zelman with Alberta Health Services - Volunteer Services
The Smoky River Emergency Social Services are looking for volunteers.
If interested, please complete the application form and forward it to FCSS or for more information please contact Crystal at 780-837-2220.