WELCOME TO MCLENNAN
WELCOME TO OUR HOMETOWN
McLennan, Alberta located in the beautiful Peace Country. McLennan is an hour drive south of Peace River, two hours northeast of Grande Prairie and approximately 4 hours northwest of Edmonton.
McLennan is known as a transportation town, it is the hub of the Northern Railway Line. The railline from McLennan transports freight to and from the North up to Hay River,NWT and goes South from McLennan connecting to the Edmonton rail lines. In addition to rail service, the primary Highway 2 passes through the Town of McLennan.
The population in 2017 was 791. Though small, we are a community with a lot of heart.
Our town provides services to entire region with the local hospital and RCMP detachment located here.
To file a report of a breach of a Public health Order, please file the complaint using the AHS website or this link https://ephisahs.microsoftcrmportals.com/create-case/ .
COVID 19 Update Smoky River Region - March 30, 2020
MP Arnold Veirsen Peace River-Westlock March 27, 2020 Update
MP Aronld Viersen Peace River-Westlock March 20, COVID-19 Update
COVID 19 Update Smoky River Region - March 18, 2020
MP Arnold Viersen Peace River-Westlock March 18, 20 COVID-19 Update
MP Arnold Viersen Peace River-Westlock March 17, 20 Covid 19 Update
COVID 19 Update Smoky River Region - March 16, 2020
COVID 19 Update Smoky River Region - March 11, 2020
Within Alberta, the most up to date information locally including current situation, risk, cases and testing, prevention, etc. can be found at https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx
All national updates can be found at: Canada.ca/coronavirus
World Health Organization information & updates: https://www.who.int
Voyent Alert Notification System: Smoky River Voyent Alert: This system will keep you informed during times of crisis for the Smoky River Region delivered right to your computer or phone. This service is FREE.
1. Mobile App Notifications. Download and install the Voyent Alert! app from the Apple or Google Play app stores.
2. Email, Phone or SMS Notifications. Register online to recieve alerts at https://register.voyent-alert.com
Grocery and Pharmacy Delivery. If you are unable to leave your home and need assistance with groceries or pharmaceutical needs please fee free to call the FCSS office at 780-837-2220.
If you are willing to volunteer to assist others in this time of need please call our office 780-837-2220.
Please be aware that we will follow health and safety procedures, and if you have any of these symptoms - fever, cough, sore throat, or have travelled out of the country in the past 14 days, or have been in contact with someone who fits any of these descriptions please stay home and self iosolate.
Child Care Services check out the new facebook page: Babysitters of Smoky River
Food Bank Service. As of Wednesday, March 18, 2020, the food bank will NOT be accepting food items at this time. This will be reassessed and could be subject to change. If you have any questions regarding the operations of the Satellite Food Bank in Falher, please call 780-837-2220.
FIRE BAN IN EFFECT
There is a Fire Ban in the Forest Protection Area of Alberta and MD of Smoky River.
All fire permits are suspended or cancelled. Some allowances can be made for essential agricultural and industrial burning, but will need to be approved by a forest officer of Fire Guardian.
- • safe wood campfires on public lands.
- • safe wood campfires on private land and provincial campgrounds.
- • backyard firepits, and
- • barbeques with charcoal briquettes.
- • propane / natural gas powered
- • open flame CSA approved oil
- • wood fires in an enclosed facility or device, which have a chimney with a spark arrestor
- • OHVs are currently allowed.
- backyard firepits in Towns, village and Five Star are allowed in approved covered pit in accordance with fire bylaw.
Regional Fire Chief
Director of Emergency Management
Director of Protective Services
MD Smoky River No.130
“Lifes is too short; Remember”
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take” ! by-W.G.
Fire and Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) ban
Effective April 15th, 2020 the Province has implemented a Fire and OHV ban in the Forest Protection Area. This includes Alberta Parks and Protected Areas.
In the M.D. of Smoky River:
- No fire permits will be issued and any existing fire permits are immediately cancelled
- Burning in burn barrels and fire pits is permitted, however spark arresting devises must be used
- OHV’s may be utilized on private property
Should you have any questions, please contact:
Regional Fire Chief
Around Town & Enjoying the Lakeshore of Kimiwan Lake
Please remember that when enjoying the natural beauty of the lakeshore that this is a nature wildlife habitat and is used by both people and animals. Stay cautious and alert for signs that animals have been there recently. Some percautions to take are: Stay alert, keep children near and keep dogs leashed. Report sightings of bears, cougars and other large predatory wildlife to the Town of McLennan at 780-324-3065 or the Peace River Conservation Office at 780-624-6405.
News & Notices
- Garbage Pick Up will change, this week only, to Wednesday, November 10, 2021
- Recycling Pick Up will not change, and will be Thursday, November 11, 2021
- The Town of McLennan Office will be closed Thursday, November 11, 2021
- The 2021 Remembrance Day Ceremony will be held outside the Legion, Thursday, November 11, 2021 at 10:45a.m.
AHS (Alberta Health Services) has two Registered Nurse positions available at the Sacred Heart Hospital in McLennan
One Part Time position in Emergency (Registered Nurse - Emergency - Alberta Health Services Careers)
One Full Time position in Acute Care (Registered Nurse - Acute Care - Alberta Health Services Careers).
Job Posting End Date: November 29, 2021 at 11:59p.m.